• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

When To Dry Hop?

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
When is the correct time to dry hop?  Is it after the FG is reached?

Thanks

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: The main purpose of dry hops is aroma. You don't want that aroma to bubble out of the airlock.

I usually dry hop in the keg for a week or so.  I suspend the hop pellets  in the keg in a hop bag weighted with marbles and hanging with sanitized dental floss that can pass through the lid seal without leaking CO2. 

Brian.

This, like most other topics, is dependent on opinions.  I dry hop for 4-5 days.  For me, that has been very successful in extracting high levels of hop aroma.  I personally can't see any benefit from dry hopping for longer periods since I have had great results.  If you dry hop for long periods, you risk getting a more grassy character.  Some may actually like that.  Firestone Union Jack is a great beer, but has a grassy hop character.  Another variable is the type of hop.  My favorite for getting great hop aroma in the dry hop is Simcoe.  I can dry hop with this for 4 days and have amazing aroma. So to make it simple, I ferment for 8-9 days.  At that point I'm always at the FG I'm looking for.  Then I transfer to a secondary and dry hop for 4-5 days.     

Back