• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory issues. Can't match ingredients, prices don't change

nostalgia

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a recipe last week. This week I got around to updating my inventory with the correct values and prices. So now I'm having two problems:

1. When I try to "Remove Inv", I get a popup saying it can't match some of the ingredients, even though they are in inventory.

2. After updating the items in the inventory (prices, quantities), the changes are not reflected when I double click the same ingredients in the recipe. Do I really have to rebuild my recipes from scratch every time I update my inventory?

Screenshots attached.

Thanks!

-Joe

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 404
  • in_recipe.jpg
    in_recipe.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 389
  • inventory.jpg
    inventory.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 442
Not quite sure about your first question, though there have been times that I duplicate an ingredient in inventory to reflect a different set of parameters (usually hops where a new lot has a different %AA) and do not update the ingredient in the recipe when I brew it.

As far as your second question, in the recipe design view, you can select 'update prices' to update the prices in your recipe to what is currently in your inventory.  See attached picture for location.

Attachments

• update ingredients pic.JPG
    update ingredients pic.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 413
nostalgia said:
1. When I try to "Remove Inv", I get a popup saying it can't match some of the ingredients, even though they are in inventory.

The recipe item names must match the name of the inventory items. In your case, you called for Carafe "1" in the recipe, but have Carafe "I" in the inventory. Same issue with Carafe "3" vs. Carafe "III".

2. After updating the items in the inventory (prices, quantities), the changes are not reflected when I double click the same ingredients in the recipe.

Using the "Update Prices" button is the way to accomplish that. However, just as you have mismatched item names for inventory, BeerSmith will not be able to match  the two Carafe malts for pricing, either.

When you change the names of ingredients in your inventory, use the Substitute buton to first update the recipe with the new item name. This'll keep the quantity, but now reflect not only prices, but any update tot he color or yield of that malt.

I've taken the time to update nearly all of my ingredient names to reflect certain characteristics and suppliers. For instance, with pale malts, it helps to know which one is preferred for a recipe (Rahr, Great Western, Briess, etc.). Within Great Western, I want to know if it's their basic 2-row, Northwest Pale or any other variation.

Example:
"Pale Malt, GW2R" is Great Western Malt 2-Row
"Pale Malt, GWNW" is Great Western Malt Northwestern Pale
"Pale Malt, GWCAS" is Great Western Malt California Select

And so forth. Many of the malts also have a color "xxL" to separate them further. The shopping list doesn't include as many fields as I'd like (such as supplier) and this is my workaround. The unintended benefit is that the recipe now shows supplier and color, which helps with using the correct malt when there's more than one choice on the shelf (like Munich or crystal malts).

Back