• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ageing

Russell

Brewer
Reaction score
how do you know how long to let a beer age?
is it by the ABV's or what kind of beer it is? Is there a set standard on how long each kind of beer gets aged?
I have heard of only ageing a week to even a year but I don't know the standards of ageing.

Pale ales, wheats and IPA's don't generally age well. Beyond that, there aren't really any rules. I have an English Strong in my lagering chamber for 3+ weeks. I think it's time to try it!

IMO,

Mark

No real rules. I guess it depends on your preference.

Definitely don't age your IPAs. The hops dissipate as the malts come through. Belgians generally are aged longer to allow the flavors to mature with each other. I guess you can do this with most any beer but I'm sure some the ones mentioned in an earlier post won't come across very well.

Don't worry and go with your taste preference, I suppose. Good luck!

Being a person with a nice dark basement and plenty of room, I have always saved a 6 pack of whatever I brew and let them sit, opening in a year or so to evaluate how they stand the test of time.
I found that light brews don't do so well, at least for my taste. They seem to be more susceptible to oxidation as well as bitterness.
However, if you make a good rich stout or porter, a black ale or something with a bit more "meat" to it, they seem to age with some interesting twists, and usually good ones.
I have an oatmeal honey stout that I made 5 years ago that is freaking outstanding now, but I did a Pumpkin spice in 2011 that lost it's spice, though what blended in was pretty nice.
Barley Wines are always best suited to the aging process, but that is part of the norm for them.
I am beginning to limit my "savings" to the higher gravity beers. But I can't resist putting at least one bottle aside for the future. What the hell, makes you keep a "survival larder at the very least!

Back