• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Storing my beer

jobard

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi'all

I have a silly question to ask those more experienced ones. I started brewing more than my fridge can hold (just bought a second fridge dedicated to brewing), so my question is: How should I properly store my beer at room temp. (please note that I live in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, and the temp. here is around 95ºF) lest it spoils?
Should it be:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Right after bottling, before carbonation;
[*]Right after carbonation, before aging;
[*]"X" days after fermentation;
[*]Other;
[/list]

Thanks

I hold my bottles at about room temperature for about three weeks and then put them into cold refrigerator storage from then on.

With high gravity beers, with a lot of ABV, I might give them 5 weeks at room temperature, since the yeast is probably stressed and take longer to carbonate.

You can't put them in cold storage until they are carbonated.  What a great excuse to take a bottle after three weeks of room temperature conditioning and put it in the refrigerator for two or three days to get it cold and settled, then take it out and pop one open and see how it's doing.  This sampling will tell you if they need more time at room temperature.

Scott Ickes said:
I hold my bottles at about room temperature for about three weeks and then put them into cold refrigerator storage from then on.

With high gravity beers, with a lot of ABV, I might give them 5 weeks at room temperature, since the yeast is probably stressed and take longer to carbonate.

You can't put them in cold storage until they are carbonated.  What a great excuse to take a bottle after three weeks of room temperature conditioning and put it in the refrigerator for two or three days to get it cold and settled, then take it out and pop one open and see how it's doing.  This sampling will tell you if they need more time at room temperature.

+1 but I always try at 2 weeks. One bottle will go in to check on carbonation.

Up in the Chicago area, we are blessed with a constant cooler temp below ground. I have a "beer cellar" that stays pretty much always around 60 degrees or lower.
I never fridge my brews, but rather let them sit on the concrete floor under blankets. I have never had any spoil and they have never had any adverse effects from the practice... Of course in Rio, finding a room anywhere that gives you a constant of @ 60 would be a challenge, I suspect. However if you have a bit of handyman in you, you could build a chest to put in a remote corner of your house and "refrigerate" it to 60 degrees or so. Be cheaper than firing up multiple refrigerators, I would think. Or look for a restaurant that is remodeling and beg their coolers.
Of course the easiest solution...Sit your butt down and start drinking, if you have friends, make them help!

Back