• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gravity points: imperial versus metric

gobbo

Apprentice
Reaction score
I know this is a trouble for many, I mean the conversion between different unit systems and uncousciosly i left this thing about gravity points out of my head but its a major problem when working with metric units: from what I understand all the values of the potentials for the malts and other fermentables are set using the pounds/gallon imperial units and do not change when I switch from imperial to metric and viceversa so, having the batch values in kg and liters but the potentials (gravity points) calculated form the pounds/gallon formula, causes a big raise in all est.  gravity cells, and everything related to that.

so the way to convert potentials to metric is to multiply the imperial values by 0.834 and I can do that with a calculator :) just saying it should be explained because I found out on my skin when my measured OG was a lot lower than the estimated one, and I was looking for a cause for such poor efficiency eheh

maybe future software update to automatically differentiate potentials for the two different systems when choosing units in options, that's a suggestion

Converting to metric depends upon why you are calculating gravity points.  I use metric units as well. 

For recipes, BeerSmith calculates the potential doing all the conversion calculations for you.  When changing from English units to metric units, I don't see any change in the expected pre-boil gravity and OG changing. 

For process control, I just take the points from the gravity readings times the volume in liters before and after boil to verify the accuracy of my readings. 

for example if I use metric units and add to the batch say 1 kg of 2 row pale malt over 10 liters of water, it calculates the potential of the malt as 1036 of us or uk or 1038 for weyermann. this potential is calculated by pounds/gallon and:

1 pound/1 gallon is different than 1 kg/10 liters. actually the ratio is:

1 pound/1 gallon=1 kg/10 liters * 0.834

so the potential for the 2 row pale malt with metric units should be 1030/1032 instead of 1036/1038

the fact that once the recipe is complete the does give correct results: OG of 1032 for 1kg in 10 liters of water, OG of 1038 for 1 pound in 1 gallon of water so the problem with the efficiency of my batch remains :(
but when I work with metric I think I should get metric values for potentials or at least a note telling me those are imperial potentials that automatically get converted to metric when calculate :)

I just tested that.  I brew 10 liter batches, so I started a new recipe and added 1 kg of my standard 2-row (Rahr) which has a potential of 1.036 pppg.  I set my losses to zero and my brewhouse/mach efficiency to 100%.  BeerSmith is giving me an OG of 1.030 for the batch.  Calculating this by hand, I get the same result.

I am not understanding the problem, as it seems to be calculating correctly the conversions from English to metric.  After 80+ brews using BeerSmith, I would have run into many issues beforehand if It did not.

the problem is not everyone automatically assumes that the potentials listed when using metric units are referred to pound/gallon formula instead of the metric 1kg/10 liters formula we do use in italy and I think in most of europe... of course once you know, you get used to this but since its not explained, it creates confusion. also, in the eventuality I need to calculate the potential from yield data of unlisted malts or measure it with a mini mash test its far easier to use metric units for the potential, so the chance to get the software allow to choose and to switch from imperial to metric potential instead of secretly assuming everyone has potential tables given with the pound/gallon measurement should be useful!

on a side note I noticed that modifying the moisture value it doesnt change the potential of the malt, not sure if its supposed to do that or no

Back