• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Total Water Needed & Total Mash Water Differ - Why?

geddy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am quite new to brewing experience, and just getting my head around Beersmith.

Why do these two water levels differ so much? I presume that I have put incorrect data into one of the fields but I can not work out where. I would be grateful for some help as it is really irritating having the incorrect amount of the Brew Steps list.

Thanks,
Ged

Hi Ged, take a look at the equipment profile. Those numbers differ due to things like grain absorption, cooling loss, tun deadspace, etc.

Mark

merfizle said:
Hi Ged, take a look at the equipment profile. Those numbers differ due to things like grain absorption, cooling loss, tun deadspace, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I have attached an image of my equipment profile, and nothing appears to be amiss here.

Things look good, here's the way I read it:
-You'll mash in with 7.11 liters, let it rest, then mash out with 9.2 liters.  7.11+9.2=16.31.
-As you're sparging, you'll leave behind 2.16 liters in the mash tun below the false bottom, plus whatever stays in the grains.
-When you're done sparging, you'll have 12.25 liters in your kettle.
-When you're done boiling, and have chilled, it'll be down to 9.25 liters (evaporation and shrinkage cause the loss here).

Make sense?

jtoots said:
Things look good, here's the way I read it:
-You'll mash in with 7.11 liters, let it rest, then mash out with 9.2 liters.  7.11+9.2=16.31.
-As you're sparging, you'll leave behind 2.16 liters in the mash tun below the false bottom, plus whatever stays in the grains.
-When you're done sparging, you'll have 12.25 liters in your kettle.
-When you're done boiling, and have chilled, it'll be down to 9.25 liters (evaporation and shrinkage cause the loss here).
Thank you for spelling it out for me. Seems so obvious now!

Back