Author Topic: Starter Function adds "Add Yeast" cell count to "Yeast Cells Needed" for batch  (Read 3788 times)

Offline djmarkey

  • BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • **
  • Posts: 3
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Starter function adds Add Yeast cell count to Yeast Cells Needed for batch and then some :o.

Under the Starter option, Beersmith calculates the total Yeast Cells Needed for the batch of beer. For this recipe, it calculated 335.2 Billion cells as pictured below:

When I add the yeast i will be using with the Add Yeast option, Beersmith's new Yeast Cells Needed becomes 447.0 Billion as below:


447.0 = 335.2+80.8+then some

Please Help!

Offline brewfun

  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 2292
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Based on yeast viability, BeerSmith is adding starter wort volume. It's anticipating equal cell count across the increased volume based on known growth rates.

Viability is based on the date of the yeast (Package Date) and the Date of the Recipe in the Design tab. If the recipe date is older than the yeast package date, BeerSmith's calculations can't be accurate.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline djmarkey

  • BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • **
  • Posts: 3
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Based on yeast viability, BeerSmith is adding starter wort volume. It's anticipating equal cell count across the increased volume based on known growth rates.

Viability is based on the date of the yeast (Package Date) and the Date of the Recipe in the Design tab. If the recipe date is older than the yeast package date, BeerSmith's calculations can't be accurate.

First, brewfun, thank you for the reply.  :)

I verified that the recipe date was not older than the yeast package date and that was not the problem. I changed the recipe date to before, the day of, and after the yeast package date and this did not fix the issue.

Something must have been corrupted with the original yeast profile because when I changed the yeast profile to any other yeast except the one I was using, the error subsided. I then copied the original file, renamed it, replace it in the recipe and the same error occurred. It was only when I copied another yeast profile, changed the information to match the corrupted files information and added it to the recipe that this error went away.

How do I inform  Brad of this issue? It was easily corrected but i wonder if this bug rears its head in other calculations.

Offline Oginme

  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 3122
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
In your first snap of the yeast calculator, you have not specified a yeast.  The starter calculator gives you the default or last calculation used until you specify the yeast you want to use.

Once you selected a yeast and date of the package, the calculator goes through the calculation of how many cells are needed for the recipe.

It is not a bug, the program only responds when there is an input given to calculate the amount of starter needed.

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

 

modification