• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fiery Red IPA (grapefruity hoppiness)

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just a plain old recipe.  I'm not looking for advice on it.  It's just sharing of what I'm brewing tomorrow.

I'm shooting for a fiery RED IPA with a lot of grapefruity hoppy aroma and flavor.

Attachments

• Red IPA with grapefruit.bsmx
    26.9 KB · Views: 408
I've been making a few Grapefruit IPAs, too. The most recent needed 3 lbs of zest. That required power tools.

Attachments

• Grapefruit zesting.JPG
    Grapefruit zesting.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 494
I accidentally ordered 2lbs of Apollo hops instead of one. It should have a strong grapefruit flavours "late in the boil", so I have been considering doing an Apollo grapefruit IPA (without the grapefruit ).  Anyone got experience with this hop?

Wow -- you've given me some great inspiration for my first recipe to put together on Beersmith!!
Grapefruit IPA - especially one that doesn't cost $15 a 6PK - could be awesome!

dcave270 said:
Wow -- you've given me some great inspiration for my first recipe to put together on Beersmith!!
Grapefruit IPA - especially one that doesn't cost $15 a 6PK - could be awesome!

It definitely has the taste of grapefruit.  It's also got a nice malty medium-full body, like I like my IPA's.  It's more of a red tinted brown color though.  I've yet to figure out how to make a bright red ale.  It's time that I brewed a straight up Irish Red from "Brewing Classic Styles" to get the color part down.

Back