• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profile for Steeping Dark Grains

ggourde

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am making a porter and I like to steep my dark grains to cut down on the harshness. So although my total grain bill is 10lbs, I will actually be mashing 9.25lbs and steeping the remaining .75lbs.

Is there a way to account for this in my mash profile so I can add the correct amount of water at the right strike temp as well as account for the amount of water used to steep the dark grains so that the final pre-boil wort level is correct?

Thanks,
Gregg

ggourde said:
Is there a way to account for this in my mash profile so I can add the correct amount of water at the right strike temp as well as account for the amount of water used to steep the dark grains so that the final pre-boil wort level is correct?

Steep the grains in the same ratio as the rest of the mash. Subtract that amount from the strike, since you're simply creating two processes. The strike temperature should remain the same. Once combined in the kettle, the volume should also be correct.

Back