• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dead Computer- Installing on a 3rd Computer

myquestinlife

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, forgive me if there's already an existing topic on this, but I couldn't anything.  I recently had my main laptop die on me completely and I can't go in to uninstall it to free up the license.  Not sure if that's how that works, but I know there's a two computer limit.  I have it on another laptop, but it's not one I use all the time.  I plan on replacing the damaged one- how do I free up the license on my dead computer so I can install it onto my replacement?

Thanks!
Paul

I have a related issue. I had my directory stored in Dropbox and had to reinstall on a new machine. I decided to point the new installation at my old directory, expecting it to open with all my recipes and personal configuration. It didn't do so and it now appears that I can't restore my old files as they have been overwritten. I can still see my recipes in the Archive folder and all my other settings maybe there too but I don't know how to restore, even if you can. As this is 3 years of work I am understandably a little nervous I have lost everything. Can anyone help?

myquestinlife said:
I plan on replacing the damaged one- how do I free up the license on my dead computer so I can install it onto my replacement?

Use the Recover Key function. When you install BeerSmith on the new computer go to Help > Recover Key and follow the instructions.

If you have a backup of ../Documents/BeerSmith2 folder, you'llcopy and paste this over the same directory on the new computer. This directory has all of your recipes and custom profiles. Paste it after recovering the key.

I have a similar issue - dead computer, reinstalling - and I have gotten the new instance of BeerSmith up and running on the new system.  However, when I copy over the documents/Beersmith2 folder onto the new machine, none of my recipes show in the My Recipes view.  How do I get them to appear?  Do I have to import them all?  Thanks in advance -

Disregard the question - turns out I kept the wrong set of files (newer) when I copied over the files from the backup.  All the recipes are back - phew!

Back