• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Yeast

prj28

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Imperial Organic Yeast just arrived in our local home brew supply store. 200 billion cells per pitch. Looks interesting I'll be using this on my next beer. I hope Beersmith adds this yeast soon.

http://www.imperialyeast.com

If they would give some specifications on attenuation on their products, it would be easy enough to enter it into the database.  As it is though...

I talked to these guys at NHC in June. Nice guys, interesting container, but people have complained about getting the yeast out of the can properly. You need to shake it a lot to get the yeast into suspension, which causes a lot of additional pressure when opening it. Reports of up to 1/4 of the contents spewing out on opening, doesn't bode well. If you don't shake it enough, the yeast sits in a lump at the bottom and you have to flush the can with sterile water or wort to get it out. The double pitch is good for those that don't make starters, but starters are really not that difficult to make and the cost of a WL vial and some DME are still cheaper than this yeast.

prj28 said:
Imperial Organic Yeast just arrived in our local home brew supply store. 200 billion cells per pitch. Looks interesting I'll be using this on my next beer. I hope Beersmith adds this yeast soon.

http://www.imperialyeast.com

I agree...hope they get added soon. I am trying for the first time next week their A10 strain in my stout. Since I don't have a 4L Erlenmeyer for a proper starter, I'm pitching 2 cans

Your better off adding the new yeast to your BeerSmith database.  What I did was look at the yeast database to see what info is needed.  Then I went to the yeast website, got the information and put that into the database.  Your then ready to go.

Back