• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

MEAD NEEDS

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am working a mead and it has been in the 2ndary for 20 days and has not cleared,it has lightened alot though.There are regular rising of tiny bubbles consistent. Is this normal?
I took a G at 2ndary and it was at 1.080 (from 1.140) The taste was very sweet and absolutely no alcohol bite to it.
Used a standard recipe using 14lb white honey for 5 gal a couple of oz cinnimon stick as well.
2 packs dry ale yeast were used.
What is the normal time frame for complete fermentation?
Odor was plesant of honey and cinnimon, I just want to make sure I am headed on the right path, and if not, if there is a remedy to where I am.
Thanks
Bill

Depends on a lot of things - like Fred asked, did you use any nutrients?  What have been your fermenation temps?  How long was it in the primary?  What dry ale yeast did you use?  Did you properly aerate the must? ...etc., etc.

With that being said, mead requires a LOT of patience.  ;D

As grant says mead can require a lot of patience.

Note though that mead produces some interesting hangovers if you're not careful!

You could try some standard wine finings, i have used this before with some success.

i use a yeast nutrient and let my mead sit in a carboy until it clears then i rack it and let it sit for about 1 week it takes me atleast 2 months per 5 gallon batch

Back