• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

If you build it.....

evilgiraffe

Brewer
Reaction score
....I might brew it. Haha.

Here's the deal. I'm not gonna have access to my controlled fermentation chamber for a few weeks since it will be lagering the Kolsch I'm brewing next. With that in mind, I've got I've got two small jars of harvested Belle Saison yeast sitting in my fridge that I want to use since it will be able to handle the higher ferm temps. I also have 1lb of leftover Victory malt. And I have .5oz of Warrior and 1oz of Styrian Goldings sitting in the freezer. I'd like to use it all if I can. Any ideas for a recipe?

I'd mash about 11 pounds of Marris Otter or similar pale malt with the biscuit and maybe a touch of crystal. I'd use some of the Warrior and a third of the Styrians at 60 minutes, one third of the Styrians at 15 minutes and the remaining third at flameout. I'd aim for an IBU of about 40. The Belle Saison yeast should give it an interesting spicy, peppery character.

I like Styrians but they sometimes vary in quality. They work well with Willamette and Fuggles.

Thanks for the idea. After I wrote the above post, I realized that I also have some harvested Coopers Dry yeast in the fridge. I believe it also can handle fermenting in slightly higher temps. Perhaps I'll use that instead.

Back