• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profile - Any ideas?

M

MickOz

Hi Guys,

Anyone know how I could make a mash profile that incorporates precooked adjuncts @ temp X into my main mash.
I'm sort of toying with the idea of total volume = water at temp X (usually around 90 - 100 degrees C)

I did a brew last week and had to precook 2Kg of rolled wheat and oats and then hit 50c degrees C for a protein rest and had to juggle things manually to get my temp.  I ended up with more liquid than I really wanted and left myself with no room for a mashout.

Thanks

Mick

If you "wing it" and miss you can always pull a small decoction and raise your temp without adding any more liquid 8)

I'm new to all this also. I did a cereal mash. I found the technique in Google. I brought the grits with a small amount of malt up to a boil slowly stopping at 150F for a short time. I then boiled them until they were mush.  I then added them to the mash. However the grits weren't dry. They were still soaked from the boil.

I wish I knew how much water to boil out of the grits. How dry should they be when I add them to the mash. You cant possibly know what the weight is. Dose Beer Smith want dry weight or wet weight. Three pounds of dehydrated grits is a lot of grits ones there bloomed from the boil.

Any one know the correct way of adding them to the mash so Beer Smith can calculate the right formulas?

Thank you

Jolly

Jolly,
  I don't have an automated way to handle this type of situation.  You should know how much water is in the grits though, so you can just subtract that amount of water from the addition where you add the grits.  The boil off is probably not much (10%-15% per hour).

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks Brad I'm going to give your advice a whirl. I love Beer Smith by the way.

Back