• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Red X

I've tasted beers made with it, and it's very flavorful.  The Best Malz products I've used personally were all good. 

I've used it, but not as the total base malt.  I made a red IPA a while back that was about 20% Red X.  To me, it didn't add much color or flavor in that small of a %.  However, I recently brewed another batch of Grapefruit Irish Red IPA.  For the base malts, I went with 5 pounds of NW Pale Malt and 5 pounds of Red X.

I'll be kegging it soon.  I'll let you know how it turned out.  I've attached the recipe.

Attachments

• Red IPA with grapefruit.bsmx
    26.9 KB · Views: 206
I used a 12% Red X addition in my Irish red together with 12% of each Crystal malt/Melanoid/Victory Malt and 52% Maris Otter Pale Malt and a double infusion-medium body mash profile.
The colour didn't turn out that red (more brown-red, however the complexity of the malt taste surprised me in a positive way (yeast WLP 004).

Regards,
Slurk

Back