• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is BeerSmith Desktop still being actively maintained?

brian_pedersen

Apprentice
Reaction score
Version 2.2.13 supporting large fonts/Ultra HD Monitors, was made available as a beta 9 months ago.

The blog seems to be updated on a weekly basis, but no insights whatsoever as to what is happening on the software side (besides a recent update on bugfixes for the mobile version).

I tend to go for software with a short release cycle, and consider software not being updated at least 2-3 times a year as being dead.

I know I am not the only one waiting for specific features/changes, but seeing that nothing is happening, I can't help getting the feeling that time has come to find an alternative.

Ditto to this question.

When will be get BeerSmith 3.0?  This is long over due. 

An interesting question. In my professional life, I am an IT Project Manager who manages infrastructure and Software Development projects. We too develop and distribute software updates / versions at a rate of about 3 to 4 per year, but that is on the basis of new features requested by users or to grow the market for the product.

However, there is a simple philosophy applied to this: if it's not broken and has everything in it then, don't try to fix it or pimp it up past the point of it being a useless code dump full of stuff no-one will ever use. Just bringing out new releases for the sake of doing so doesn't make sense to me.

What would you expect to see in a R3.0 that you don't have in the current release?

Steventons Brewery said:
What would you expect to see in a R3.0 that you don't have in the current release?

Better interaction between desktop and mobile is just the start. Because at the moment its less than useless!

Im sure there is another thread where users discuss new features they would like to see.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Yes,
  I've been working on 2.3 for some time now and should have it in beta testing shortly.  Innovations include better recipe editing, additional water tools and continued support for the cloud.

Brad

Just wanted to add my view on BS2 updates - I agree, BS2 is an outstanding software package that seems quite powerful and very useful and I also buy into that "if its not broke why fix it" theory. However, in my opinion, the water element is in need to work/clarification/instruction.  I would also like to see better interaction between my desktop version and my iOS version - automatic updates, etc..  Aside from these elements, I love this software.  Keep up the good work Brad!!

I am really happy that BeerSmith is not dead, which was what I was starting to assume.

Will the support for BIAC be included in 2.3?
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=13176.0

Cheers ...
/Brian

Hey Brad,

Any end of the year announcements you wish to share with us?

Thanks in advance

Happy New Year
Rick

Although Brad has not mentioned it, I really hope 2016 brings an improved UI experience.

Back