• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Tinkering with Recipe and settings in Beer Smith

uzziah0

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I've made a few beers using Beer Smith, and now I am looking at adjusting a recipe. I'm trying to figure out what is reasonable for the settings: Original Gravity, Bitterness, Color, and Est ABV. Is everything good if I just keep the sliders for each of these in the green?

I don't know if others look at a recipe and give feedback. If anyone does, I've attached the BSMX file from Beer Smith, and would be interested in seeing what others have to saw, and any other advice.

This was originally from a recipe that is a Baltic Porter, and I did not change that setting.
I only adjusted the amount of each grain to get darker color and a little stronger ABV.

I was thinking of changing the hops, but I really don't know much about what those changes would do.

Thanks

Attachments

• TinkeredBlackPorter.bsmx
    22.6 KB · Views: 184
I would increase the hops.  When I'm trying to fit somewhat to a style, I try to keep the estimated original gravity and the IBU sliders somewhat near each other.  You increased the gravity, but didn't increase the bitterness to counterbalance the increase in the sweetness of the beer.  I would probably be trying to get the IBU's up to about 35 with that estimated original gravity.

Color is somewhat arbitrary, as long as you keep it in the green, in my opinion.

The ABV is what it is.  Increase the starting gravity and the ABV is going to increase.

Back