• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash strike volume

mdunlop4428

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded the trial version and can't figure out if the program will calculate Mash strike volume and will it adjust for grit ratio.  I saw the "water needed" tool but that doesn't seem to calculate the strike volume. I know its not difficult to do manually but...

Also, will it calculate my systems efficiency.  Were is takes the receipt and grain totals with the expected point and volumes and provides my brew day efficiency.

If you have entered in your equipment profile and mash profiles into BeerSmith, then it will calculate out your strike volume and temperature.  This is typically listed on the 'Mash' tab and will print out on a 'Brew Steps' report for you.

BeerSmith will calculate the actual efficiency of your process if you enter your results into the program when you brew.  The more accurate the measurements (volumes and gravity readings), the more accurate it will calculate the mash and brew house (or total) efficiency.

To adjust strike volume /grist ratio,  open your recipe  , go to  the mash tab, click any step within the mash steps frame,  and a mini window pops up with ratio, step name , type of step, temperature, infusion volume etc.
you can then  change any field.  Strike/ infusion volume and grist ratio automatically change  to correct values if you play with them.
IF you change a mash step volume, the other steps will adjust.. For example if you change the ratio from 1.2 quarts per pound to 2 quarts per pound,  the strike volume increases, or vice versa. You can play with ratios and volumes and all fields adjust.
If you exceed your equipment capacity a red dot appears in the volumes tab, beside the piece of equipment listed. So check there after adjusting. This of course if your equipment profile is accurately representing what you are using to brew with. IF it isn't you can create a custom profile called my equipment and plug in  the actual volume of your kettles.  I constantly adjust volumes, mash steps,  and ratios to suit in making a recipe.

Back