• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

RO waste water uses

Beorn12

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I recently installed an RO system to standardize my water, and then I add minerals to suit my style profile. So far it's worked great. However, my filter operates at 1:4 efficiency: 1 gallon of RO water for 4 gallons of waste water. My question is, can use this waste water for cooling with my plate chiller? Any ideas, besides cleaning, on what else I could use it for?

Wow, I had no idea those systems were that inefficient.  Can you drink the "waste" water?

Old thread, but the issue is still pertinent.

The quality of your concentrate (aka "waste water") depends upon the quality of your feedwater.  It will have a TDS level about 20% higher than your feedwater.

If you have soft, or softened water, you can adjust the ratio down to about 2:1.

You control that ratio with a little $4 part called a flow restrictor.

Russ

RO water machines are getting a lot more efficient. Last year, I installed one that is 1:2 RO to brine ("waste" water) with an output of 7000 gallons per day. 

RO brine is actually just a higher concentration of mineral water. It can be used to water gardens and is perfectly potable. I know a brewery in Los Angeles that is carbonating and packaging some of their RO waste water for sale at  their tasting room. It's surprisingly popular! Yes, the checked it out with their local water agency beforehand.

Softened water treatment replaces important Calcium and Magnesium ions with Sodium. The higher levels of sodium from softeners is not generally beneficial to fermentation.

Back