• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

second batch yeast?

W

Wiseman

Hey all.  I have a N00b question here:

At the bottom of the fermenter there's all that junk, called trub, once the beer is done fermenting.  If my understanding is correct, this is mostly yeast.  Now if I decide to make a second batch of this beer, I could take a sample of this yeast and use it to ferment the next batch, right?  Rather than have to buy another yeast pack?

Also, on a side note, my first batch of canadian draft style beer just finished and I tried it last night, it came out great!

Hi,
  Here's what I do - first you need to make a starter with some highly hopped but unfermented wort (dry extract boiled with some hops works well).  Put this in a sterile container, and siphon some of the junk from the bottom of your primary after you have racked your beer to the secondary.

Add the yeast to the starter, put an airlock on it and you can store it in the fridge for up to a few months to use with your next batch.  Its always good to use some more wort to get a strong starter from your stored yeast, especially if it has been in the fridge for a while.

Cheers!
Brad

A very small amount of hops helps preserve it and stabilize it if you happen to be waiting a while between batches.

Brad

Back