• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't import from .bsmx file created by Export All

dcwright65

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am trying to import recipes from a .bsmx file that I created using the Export All feature. When I try to import, it asks me to go to the folder that contains the file. I select the appropriate folder, but when I click on "select folder" I receive a message that says "No recipe.bsm file was found in the directory that you selected." I don't see anywhere that I can tell it to look for .bsmx instead of .bsm.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

DW

If you're trying to use the import wizard, that's for pulling recipes from BeerSmith 1.4 into the new version.

For all export .bsmx files:

With BeerSmith open:
File > Open File > [download directory] > Open
BeerSmith will open and you'll see it in it's own tab.
Open the appropriate equipment or ingredient database tab.
Simply copy and paste it to the appropriate equipment or ingredient database tab.
Repeat these steps for the mash profile.

In all cases, when you close the tab or BeerSmith, you'll be prompted to save the file. You can click "no" because you've already put it into the correct database.

I was having the same issue and was wondering why there isn't an easier way to import everything since there is an export all feature? I run into this issue a few times a year. I export all, uninstall beersmith, reinstall beersmith and try to import all. It doesn't work using the import wizard so I use the open file command which works but doesn't save the imported file into the new database. So I have to copy and paste my recipes into the new database. Seems like there should be a simpler way like an import all button that imports the .bsmx file and saves it to the new database automatically.

Also I have never been able to retrieve old mash profiles or equipment profiles from exported files in the 8 years I've used Beersmith. I would think "Export all" would also include profiles but it has never worked for me. When I import the .bsmx file the profiles are all default. Maybe I'm just doing that part wrong though.

Beach Brewer said:
I run into this issue a few times a year. I export all, uninstall beersmith, reinstall beersmith and try to import all.

I have absolutely no idea why you'd need to do this.

Maybe I'm just doing that part wrong though.

Unfortunately, yes. You're doing it the hard (and incomplete) way.

It's as simple as copying .../Documents/BeerSmith2 folder to backup, then pasting over the default folder of the same name that BeerSmith creates upon reinstall. Just reenter your key, first.

All of your profiles, custom ingredients and recipes are located in the .../Documents/BeerSmith2 folder.

Back