• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil Off Rate

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
What would a average boil off rate be for making 5 gallon all grain batches?

Thanks!!

Mine is very similar to tootsie. Been fine tuning it for a long long time now, and with quite a rollicking boil it's currently at 3.1 litres per hour.

I'm using a converted 10 gallon keg and my boil off rates are in the high range around (4.5--6 Litres) 1.18--1.6 gallons per hour. I also cover the kettle with a lid until the actual boil starts to try to minimize losses.
Like others I am still trying to dial this in to make the required adjustments in my "equipment profile" in BS2

Use water to test your boil-off rate. Measure your volumes carefully for the test and for your actual boil, and take notes.

Pcmax said:
I also cover the kettle with a lid until the actual boil starts to try to minimize losses.

I've been wondering about this practice lately as I usually do the same thing.  Last batch I tweaked my method by covering the pot only about 3/4 of the way.  Does anyone have input as to whether DMS etc. is being kicked off by the wort before the boil actually starts?  I definitely see condensation on the inside of the lid before the boil starts and I'm thinking this may be best to keep out of the wort as well. 

jtoots said:
Does anyone have input as to whether DMS etc. is being kicked off by the wort before the boil actually starts?

As long as the wort is over 140F, DMS is coming from the SMM in the pale malt. Up to a point, anyway.

DMS boils off rather easily, since it's volatile way below boiling.

The amount of DMS in wort depends on a few easily controlled factors.
The first is when you call the beginning of your boil. Is it as the hot break happens? After?
Second, are you doing a full 60 to 90 minute boil?

The amount of DMS in wort is reduced by 50% in the first 30 minutes of a properly vigorous boil. At 90 minutes, even the palest Pilsner malt wort has little SMM left to convert to DMS and doesn't meet the threshold of perception in most people.

A proper boil is active bubbles coming up through the wort that move around the kettle. It doesn't have to be a huge, roiling, angry cauldron to effectively remove DMS.

So, keeping a lid on, or partially covering the kettle before the boil is fine. Any DMS that falls in will be boiled off again. 

After a 90 minute boil, DMS doesn't rise more than 10% in 60 minutes and that's low enough to be scrubbed out by normal fermentation.

Back