• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Belgian Golden Strong

Rjezowski75

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,
After about 70 batches of brew, I am finally going to brew a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I need any words of wisdom regarding this style (i.e. hop types/ grain/ fermentation/ water type/ aging?)
Thanks all!

Yes, any type cane/raw/simple sugar that completely ferments out without imparting flavor should work.  Usually 2.0 to 2.5# of cane sugar is used to raise the gravity from whatever you can  get from the malt to the higher OG and ABV levels of a BGS. 

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=128

And most homebrewers say they allow the fermentation temp to rise freely, after the primary phase to ensure the needed attenuation does happen. 

I usually ferment at about 20 until it's nearly finished then raise it to 25 for the last few days to make sure it attenuates. I have a Belgian blonde cold crashing at the moment. It's made with WLP550 and it dropped from 1.062 to 1.006 in seven days. I used 680ml of Candi Sugar. It's dry, spicy and has a typical Belgian flavour.

Back