• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Error Message

the-last-man1

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello i have a problem with my beersmith installation, To info i am running the installation on 2 different pc's so i can prepare recepies before i go to my brewerey in the garage where there also is a pc, i am storing the recepies on drop box between the 2 pc's,

when i start beersmith on any of the pc's the intro image shows but then an error message shows and beersmith shuts down :( i have tried uninstalling and removing any leftover files and then reinstalling but same issue, i will upload a screendump of the message.

Hope that someone can help me.

Best regards

Michael

I don't recommend using Drop box to synch between PC's.  Unfortunately BeerSmith has no file locking features so if you access it from more than one machine it will overwrite data and result in data loss and corruption (which is what you appear to have).

To switch back you need to reset BeerSmith to use the default directory:
  - Close BeerSmith
  - I recommend going to Documents/BeerSmith2 and renaming that to BeerSmithOLD which will save the OLD data
  - Run regedit.exe ( as an administrator) to edit the registry
  - Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and nav to Software\\BeerSmith2\ and remove the Directory entry
  - This will force the program to create a new Documents/BeerSmith2 directory with a clean set of data in it
  - Once you have the program up and running you can open Recipes.bsmx (or the numbered backups Recipe1.bsmx, etc...) from your old drop box directory using File->Open
  - When you find the data you want copy/paste it back to your My Recipes folder to store your recipes.

Cheers,
Brad

Back