• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sanitizing

JohnnyMac

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a clean-in-place system that I can run hot soapy water thru to clean and follow with hot clean water to rinse when I'm done brewing. Next time I use the system I run hot clean water thru to disinfect. Can I add some STAR SAN HB to aid in sanitizing or will the elevated temp ( 150 F) have adverse affects on the STAR SAN ?

Is a chiller part of your clean-in-place system? Or are you just cleaning/rinsing your brew kettle?

Personally, I don't bother sanitizing any equipment that's used before knockout; it all just gets a good scrubbing when I'm done. Anything that touches the wort after knockout -- especially my immersion chiller -- is thoroughly StarSan-ized. I've so far (touch wood) not had any sanitation-related issues.

easiest way to sanitize that immersion chiller is to place it in the boil for 5 mins

I leave my coil chiller in the boil pot for the entire boil. I position it with the 6" bazooka screen fitted under the second last loop of copper and over the last (bottom)loop with the kettle dry. My tea service s.s. tray lid rests nicely on the inlet /outlet that are bent to rest on the edge of the kettle. Everything stays in place for the whole boil. Seems to hold the trub nicely in place while draining the wort out. I don't like to disturb the trub that I worked hard whirpooling and Irish mossing in place. MY home made 25 foot coil has at least a one inch gap between each loop so cleaning and sanitizing is easy. Don't know how those large  tightly wound coils that rest on each other can be cleaned and sanitized easily. Star san keeps the copper acid coated for easy clean up and keeps it bright, I use lots on it before and after for storage.

Thank you all for your comments.  A little more info should have been supplied in my original post.  I have a boil pot piped, thru a pump, to a counter flow chiller followed by an ice bath and then directed to the fermentor. I wanted to design a closed system from boil to fermentation.
I agree with all that the boil-mash equipment does not have to be sanitized, just clean. Hot water is recommended for rinsing and STAR SAN for sanitizing. My question was, can I add STAR SAN to the hot water being pumped thru the entire system rinsing and sterilizing at the same time ?
FYI,  I have since spoke to an engineer from STAR SAN who informed me that STAR SAN HB becomes more effective at elevated temps than it is at room temp.  Very good news to me. Now final rinsing and sanitizing can be done right before a brew session with minimum effort.

Back