• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Infusion Batch Sparge - Equal Runnings

rippler

Apprentice
Reaction score
When selecting the single infusion batch sparge profile beersmith adds half of the deadspace to the first saprging step (or mash in if that box is checked) and the other half to the second sparging step. In my opinion, the complete deadspace should be added to the volume of the first runnings because it cannot be recovered with the first runnings. If the deadspace is not accounted for in the first runnings, then the calulations will not yield runnings of equal volume. Any views on this please?

Also, the grain to water ratio does not consider the deadspace and is thus biased upward.

Are there any plans to address these issues please?

Hi,
  In the equipment profile there is a flag to add more water to the mash to compensate for deadspace.

Brad

Thanks, but exactly this flag, which can also be set in the mash profile of the respective recipe, causes the issues I have outlined in my posts above. Please refer to these posts as the issue is ore involved than setting a flag.

Back