• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Multiple "options"

cmreigrut

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!  We're making to jump from homebrewery to professional brewer, and would like to continue to use BeerSmith as we scale up from our present 1/2bbl system to a 10bbl system.  However, we're still planning on keeping the 1/2bbl system around as our pilot system.

The "problem" we're facing is that we'd like to have two different sets of default units within BeerSmith--one for our pilot system, and one for our production system.  For example, we'd like to use Gallons as the default unit for liquids on the pilot system, but Barrels on the production system.  Likewise, it would be oz for pilot hops units, but pounds for production.

Is there any way to do this?  Two installs of BeerSmith?  Or are we out of luck and just need to learn how to convert all this in our heads on the fly?

The units are global in the program. With recipes closed, you can change them in the Options window pretty quickly and then open the appropriate recipe folder.

I have my main computer set to barrels, and have learned to do the conversions. One handy feature is that you can add ingredients in any increment you want (i.e. oz) and the recipe should continue to display in that increment as long as it's not greater than the default unit.

Water and batch size are the only units that won't convert, to my recollection.

Thanks for the reply!  I know I can change the defaults, but it's going to be an enormous hassle to change them en masse each brew day! 

So other than having two computers, one for the 10bbl system and one for the 1/2bbl system (each with their appropriate units) there's no way around the problem?

Back