• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mac issues: More than one version running?

laithclark

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there

I am using BM on my mac and am having trouble opening it today as my mac tells me more than one version is running, however there are not and I have shut everything down too to make sure.

Can someone help me with the latest fix as I don't want to lose my recipes or settings

Thanks

Hi,
  This is a fairly rare problem that has been tied to doing an operating system update while BeerSmith is still running on the Mac.

I recommend the following steps as a first fix:
  - Make sure BeerSmith is not running
  - Go to your Home directory and delete the file "BeerSmith2-USERNAME" if it exists where USERNAME is your user name- this lock file usually causes the problem
  - Reboot your machine

Let me know if this does not work - in most cases I've found this corrects the issue.

--

Cheers!

Brad Smith

Hi Brad

Now when I click to open it is asking me to activate this version of BS - do I just need to add my activation key again?

Will my recipe archive still be there?

Thanks

Before you do anything, back up the .../Documents/BeerSmith2 folder. This has all of your recipes and custom profiles in it.

Then open BeerSmith (as a trial is ok) and go to Help > Recover Key.
Follow the instructions to renew your key in BeerSmith.

Check to see if your recipes and profiles are still there. If not, simply copy and paste the backup directory in place of the one BeerSmith installed.

Hi Brad

I have the attached message so should I reuse my activation key give the trial has expired?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 13.30.51.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 13.30.51.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 444
Can someone please help me out with this, I know it's fixable I just want to get it back up and running ASAP

Many thanks

laithclark said:
Can someone please help me out with this,

The post immediately prior to your first one IS the solution.

If you've purchased BeerSmith, recover your key.

Thanks for this, I have made 'some' progress now.

I can see my recipes in the archive and have put the previous archive folder in place of the new one, I have opened some recipes to find they are there but BS is not pulling them all in automatically. When I try and add them automatically and then save them it does not work and they disappear.

I also want to import my updated equipment profile, which I have done and can see it is there it is just not saving them

If you could give me some help that would be much appreciated

Thanks

laithclark said:
I have opened some recipes to find they are there but BS is not pulling them all in automatically.

As with anything involving data, make backups before you proceed.

All of your recipes, profiles and customized preferences are kept in the /Documents/BeerSmith2 directory. You can import these files in one of two ways.

If you haven't created new profiles or recipes:

Once you've installed your key, you can then copy and paste the /Documents/BeerSmith2 directory from your old computer to the new one. This will install all of your recipes, preferences and profiles onto the new computer.

If you have created new profiles or recipes:

Open the recipe, profiles and personalized ingredients one category at a time. In the tab created by BeerSmith, highlight all of the items in the tab. Copy/Paste them into the identical tab of BeerSmith. I.e.: Recipes to Recipes; Hops to Hops; Equipment to Equipment.

Thank you very much for your help and support on this one, it appears it is all fixed and the recipes and profiles are back where they need to be

Thanks again

I just noticed a new behavior on my iPad. I no longer can select more than one verse to copy.

ThomasSobe said:
I just noticed a new behavior on my iPad. I no longer can select more than one verse to copy.

The advice in this thread is specific for BeerSmith 2. Your question seems to be directed at the mobile version and there is a separate forum for that.

Back