• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

D-180 or D-90?

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've recently harvested yeast from three bottles of St. Bernardus Pater 6 with plans to brew a quad like an Abt 12. I'm going to brew with candi syrup instead of rocks. I wanted to use Dark Candi's D2 but it's not available anywhere near me and it seems just as hard to find online in the US. Found it in Australia but the shipping cost was outrageous.

What is available to me is Candi Syrup, Inc.'s D-90 and D-180. Does anyone have any experience with these? D-90 is probably closer in SRM to D2 but I guess I'm asking more about flavor profile.

Has no one had any experience with D-180 or D-90 Belgian candi syrup?

I have used d45 and d 90 together in a belgian trappist quad. It's confusing as the sugars in beersmith don't correspond to these colours, I made the recipe with 60 and 120 L but used 45 and 90 as that all that was available to me.
The flavours are quite spectacular and get better after prolonged aging. I enjoyed one last night, 8 months old. The colour of the beer came out the same as the beersmith colour predicted.    My recipe is on the cloud, belgian trappist quad ale, mr fermenterhead by  twhitaker.
6 gals;
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.7 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.5 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber (60.0 SRM) Sugar 4 5.3 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (120.0 SRM) Sugar 5 5.3 %
1.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 28.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 ml]

Thanks for the response!

twhitaker said:
It's confusing as the sugars in beersmith don't correspond to these colours

Beersmith should have D-90, 45, etc. in the ingredient list, right? Looks like your recipe just has the rocks? I don't have the software in front of me so I can't exactly check at the moment.

I'm excited to give this a try. Particular reason you went with an amber syrup? I was going to use 3 lbs of 180 and then 1 lb of the dark rocks. My sugars will be close to 20% of the fermentables. I'm on the fence of my grain bill---pilsner and pale or pilsner, munich, aromatic and carafa III. Simple? Or more rounded?

Went with Amber syrup for the caramel -butterscotch flavors. More mellow and soft compared to the darker sugars, even though I also used the dark,  I wanted all flavors to be layered in there. My preference is for the pilsner malt as a base with crystal, aromatic, munich ( or other specialty malts). The one I made with pale malt was good, but not spectacular like the one made with pilsner malt. I really loved the plum aromas and fruity flavors from the WL trappist ale yeast.  Fermented at  the warmer side of the yeast spectrum.

Welcome to the world of trans-pacific shipping costs, BoBo. :) I can assure you it's even more outrageous coming from the USA to Australia.

I can't help you with candi syrup, but I recently did a Belgian Imperial Stout using home-made inverted sugar rock that was probably close to midway between medium and dark. It's probably nowhere near as good as the proper Belgian, but at a pinch it does work very well. And there is a lot of info on the internet (including videos on YouTube etc) on how to do it.

Good luck and don't drink too much of a 12% quad at one sitting! :)

Cheers mate

Back