• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steep/Whirlpool Temperature calculations vs. Time

bugac

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does Beersmith account for the temperature at steep/whirlpool? According to Brew Your own magazine

Three temperature profiles that seem to be popular among homebrewers are just off boil range 190–212 °F (88–100 °C), the sub-isomerization range 160–170 °F (71–77 °C), and a tepid hop stand range 140–150 °F (60–66 °C). The 190–212 °F (88–100 °C) range will allow essential oils with higher flashpoints an easier time to solubulize into the wort and also will allow some alpha acid isomerization to occur with the best estimates of between 5–15% utilization. Some homebrewers will keep their kettle burner on low to keep the temperature of the wort elevated above 200 °F (93 °C) during their extended hop stands which would better emulate the conditions in commercial whirlpools. A hop stand in the 160–170 °F (71–77 °C) range will basically shut down the alpha acid isomerization reaction and the lower temperatures will reduce the vaporization of the essential oils. Homebrewers can use their wort chillers to bring the wort down to this range before adding the knockout hops or they can add a second dose of knockout hops.

I have been adding my whirlpool hop addition in this 170-180 range, which should have minimal isomerization of the Iso acids. For example, I'm inputting a steep/whirlpool addition of 1.5 oz. Chinook (13.0)%) for 30 minutes, and it's showing this will result in an addition of 21.8 IBU's. At this temperature, that is not correct. If i had my wort temperature at 200, maybe. Is there a fix to this? I mean, for my purposes, i'm simply calling it a 1 min steep time, to lower my IBU's to almost 0.

The other way to accommodate this is to lower the % isomerization realized from your whirlpool by adjusting the 'Steep/whirlpool utilization factor in the options.  This does affect each whirlpool add for all recipes, since it is a global setting.  This would allow you to add the hops as you have been for the time you steep/whirlpool and let the program adjust how it is accounting for the amount of hops which get isomerized using this technique.

You can get to this setting from 'options' >> 'bitterness' > 'steep/whirlpool util factor'

Back