• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Negative Sparge and mash water volume mismatch

Leofiatlux

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched the forum before posting the topics and tried to correct my equipment profile but to no avail.

I'm new to brewing, so I'm starting small with 4 liter batch.

Setting trub and chiller losses to 0.1 and cooling shrinkage to 0.16, my post boil volume is 4.26
I lose around 1.0 liter to boil off, so my pre-boil volume is 5.26
Considering my tun deadspace (0.2 liter), I should get 5.46 liters into the mash tun, plus water lost to grain absorption (1.85 liters) adding up to a total of 7.11 liters to mash in. This gives me plenty of space, since my mash tun is 9.5 liters.

However, My recipe's mash tab (please see file attached) has a mash in volume of only 4.45 liters with an automatic setting of NEGATIVE 0.5 liter fly sparge
Also, the recipe's volume tab displays a different number (7.83 liter) as total mash water. Both 4.45 and 7.83 are, in my understanding, wrong.

How does BeerSmith 2 calculates the the mash in water volume? Is it using some water / grist ratio parameter?
How does BeerSmith gets to this 7.83 liter at the recipe's volume tab? It doesn't make any sense...

Could you please help me out?
Thanks in advance,

Leo

Attachments

• Leonardo 5 liter Equipment.bsmx
    1.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Recipe - Mash water volume mismatch leads to negative sparge.bsmx
    26.3 KB · Views: 152
Back