• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain + water (mash) volume

YanezInc

Apprentice
Reaction score
So here goes this question... maybe again...

I have found already a couple of fellas pointing out towards online and software volume calculators that allow to calculate the mash final volume (i.e. grist + strike water).

My question here is... does anyone know the theory behind it?

To cite one example, I used "http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml" under "Can I Mash it?" and fed the following info...
360 kgs grist
2.5 l/kg grist

Total Volume = 1141,2 Liters

In theory, with the aforementioned water/grist ratio I should use 900 Liters of water. Then, if I do a simple calculation it turns out to be that grist amounts to 0.67 liters in volume per kilo of grist.

Does anybody know a good reference/theoretical background for this? or Have you found similar values in your mashing procedures?

Cheers!

In the book, Designing Great Beers, Ray Daniels provides a great formula to use when calculating water volumes in addition to a chart that outlines grain water absorption per pound.  I have used this chart and formula many times and my water levels always come out spot on. I am always surprised that recipes and publications do not put more emphasis on water volumes.  It seems like such an important step and providing this info along with a recipe description seems like very useful information. 

If you find a different bulk density for the grain that works in your process, you can change the calculation of water + grist volume by adjusting the value for grain density by clicking on 'options' >> 'Advanced' > 'Grain Volume' to make BeerSmith match your actual results.  I've found the default to be pretty darn close.

Back