• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Possible Bug

sMush

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this isn't intended behavior but I figured I'd post to see if it's something by design. So when I make profiles, whether equipment, mashing (these are the only two I've tested) and make changes to those profiles, the changes aren't reflected in existing recipes. I have to actually go into the recipe and select the profile again to reflect those changes. Now it's not a big deal with one, but if you have lots of recipes that could be a time consuming issue.

Example, I have a dark mild recipe with my equipment profile selected. Say I change the amount of dead space in my mash tun from 0 to .5 gallons. if I open my dark mild, it doesn't adjust the strike water by that new amount. it's still the amount previous. To get it to adjust by the new amount (.5 gallons) I have to re select my equipment profile from within the recipe, then it adds .5. So basically if I built a recipe on a profile, and then make changes to that profile, it doesn't apply those changes until I re-select that profile in each recipe. Not sure if this behavior is reflected in other profiles, I only checked equipment and mashing(dead space and water/grain ratio changes).

Normally you won't adjust those profiles, but I got a new mash tun and did a first run on it, so I had to tweak some settings and noticed this stuff.

Im running the latest beersmith version 2.2.12 with windows 10.

This is not a bug, but an intended design of the software.  It helps to preserve the historical documentation of recipes which have already been brewed.

For instance, if I brew a recipe using equipment profile 'A' and then make a change in the profile, I do not want it to go back and make a change in eh previously brewed recipe, as that would change the record of what actually happened (or was intended to happen) in terms of water volumes, trub losses, etc.

Likewise, changing an equipment profile within a recipe will not change the equipment profile outside of that recipe unless you specifically tell BeerSmith to do so by clicking the disk icon next to the profile within the recipe.

I track my changes to the equipment profiles by including the date I make the change in the name of the profile.  This way I can track the changes I have made over time.  Plus, when I open up a recipe, I can see by the date on the profile if I have updated it to the latest version I am using.

Back