• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Partial BIAB

guilosch

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, i bought beersmith weeks ago and started making my first beer.
I use the BIAB method and have a  15 liters pot and 12 liters fermenter.
To make my 10 liter boiled wort, i need to have more room in the pot with grains, before boil.
So i mash with 10 liters and after the mash, i empty the 10 liters mash and put 5 liters of water at 72 degrees celsius over the bag with grains.
After that, i take the bag and complete with the 10 liters wort.
So, my question is, how can i do that in beersmith 2?

Thanks,
Guilherme

I treat this as a single infusion with batch sparge.  It may be a type of fly sparge, but since you are using a defined amount of water to rinse the grains with, it would be easier to measure out the water volume following a batch sparge calculation.

a bit late to this but what you could also do is do a mash with more grain with say 5 or 7 litres of water and then get a OG of say 1.070 and then before the boil just had the remaining water to dilute to your target OG. Beersmith has a nice tool 'dilution tool' (or something like that), it'll work out this for you.

Back