• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can Beer Be Stored In a Keg?

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Can beer be racked into a keg and stored for about 2 weeks?  If it can what is the procedure for doing this?  I would think adding CO2 to the keg would work. 

Cheers!!!

I would like to clarify my question. The keg when is stored it would not be connected to the CO2 tank.  I would have the keg in the garage and the temp would be in the 30's.  If this can be done what PSI would I have in the keg?

I'd start by putting 20psi on it, let it sit for a few minutes, then bleed out some of the pressure with the release valve. Since CO2 is heavier than air, this should purge the keg of any oxygen. Then put 20psi on it again.  As it sits, the pressure will drop as CO2 is absorbed by the beer. You could periodically hook it up to the regulator to check the pressure, and if it is below 10psi, put some more gas on it. When it stabilizes at around 10psi (assuming it is in the 30s) then it's carbonated.  At that point you can store it in the keg for a while. Last year my keg cooler died, but I still had some beer in kegs. The kegs sat in the basement for most of a year before I found a good deal on another cooler, and the beer was still good. You shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure there is positive pressure in the keg so no air gets in.

@ Maine Homebrewer.  Thanks for the info.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

Back