• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about icons

9/9

I apologize if this info is elsewhere, but I did a search and checked the FAQ.

I am a new BeerSmith user and I have a question about the icons next to the ingredients. I can pretty easily identify the icon for extract(squarish looking), yeast (vial), grains (grain), etc. However, I put in a recipe that gave me an exclamation mark next to a pound of flaked oats, not the usual grain icon. Usually the exclamation mark is not a good thing in programs like this, but I can find anywhere that tells me what is means.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
  My apologies for not making it more obvious, but if you add a "Must Mash" ingredient to an extract recipe it will be flagged with an exclamation point!

In general, you should always mash ingredients that are "must mash".

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks. I am a very new brewer (this is only my second brew), but I think it is interesting that the Oats got tagged a "must mash", since the ingredients are all part of a pre-packaged steeping grains & extract kit from a pretty well known online HBS.

Thanks for answering the question and hopefully the beer turns out well. :)

Back