• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steep grain in an all grain recipe?

donovan.lambright

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am doing an all grain batch today.  My plan is to do the mash this morning and the boil this afternoon; I have two kids to ferry around to a bunch of activities all day and can't dedicate an unbroken block of time to brewing.

I notice that I am out of crystal and plan to pick some up while doing the afore-mentioned kid ferrying.  I'd like to mash the rest of the grains this morning and steep the crystal later.  I realize this might change my OG a bit but I'm not picky about that.

How do I note that this ingredient will be steeped, not mashed?  Not having that pound of grain in the mash will affect my water volumes.  I can wing it and adjust the volumes by adding a bit of water later if necessary but I'd prefer to have documented in the recipe.  Is this possible?

You can certainly document the changes from the usual or ideal in the "Notes" tab of beersmith. If it's possible to do such a thing, I tend to put "too much" in that section, for example, whether I condition the malt or not, whether it was crushed the previous day etc etc; so I can't see any problem with your suggestion. It then shows up in the first page when you click on it in "My recipes" or "My cloud" which I find to be very handy.

Yes, it is possible to do the grain steep later.  Gordon Strong uses this method for specialty grains. You should note it in the recipe notes as mentioned in a previous reply.

Back