• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gravity is way off when importing a recipe.

figgy15

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello all. 

First of I want to say I LOVE BEERSMITH!  Now to my issue lol.  I manually added a recipe that I got from Homebrew Association Site that had a OG of 1.100 (Wee Heavy).  In beersmith, the OG is coming out as 1.117???!!!  I added the same ingredients and amount as found on the site.  Is there a bug or am I doing something wrong when it comes to my settings.  I really appreciate anyone's help.  Thank you.

If you enter a recipe from AHA or any other source, you must also match the efficiency that the recipe was designed at.  I believe that the AHA recipes are based upon a 70% efficiency. 

When transposing a recipe into Beersmith, I have a 'dummy' equipment profile which I can alter at need for the recipe I am inputting.  Then I use the 'scale recipe' feature to convert the recipe to my proven profiles.

another option would be to use the sliders or manually bump down the grain quantities, keeping percentages intact, until you hit the numbers of the recipe.  don't lose sight of color or bitterness when doing it this way.

Back