• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew Day Notes and Reporting of the Information

chesl

Apprentice
Reaction score
As reported in other suggestions, there needs to be a good way to record your brew day notes.
There should be a brew_day tab in the recipe when you copy into your Brew Log and it should be flexible enough to enter various information/fields and notes - and just as important in my opinion, you then need to be able to report on this across your different Brew Log recipes and be able to view reports by efficiency across time or group by OG or whatever.
No point in having notes fields etc if you can't get the data out easily and allow users to view it.

The sort of information I'd like to be able to enter in a Brew Day tab (and be able to report on it) is as per below, at the moment I just put it in my notes field but I can't get at it across multiple brews to see the information, this was my last brew day:

Brew Day Notes:

Initial:
Volume in Kettle = 14.10L
Added grain of 2.22Kg, Volume in Kettle now = 16.0L

Mash:
Mashed at 67 for 70mins. Gravity = 1.046
Pre Boil volume = 13.2L
Collected 400ml for Yeast Starter
Overshot gravity, diluted with 1 L of water to get gravity = 1.043
Skimmed off 200ml of gunk as coming up to boil
Pre Boil Volume now = 14.0 L

Boil:
Boiled for 60mins
Volume at end of boil (@ 100C) = 11.1 L
OG = 1.056
Overshot gravity, diluted with 500mL of water to get gravity = 1.054
Volume at end of boil now = 11.6 L
Evaporation = 14.0 - 11.1 = 2.9L

Fermenter:
Volume of ambient wort = 10.7 L, ie, cooling shrinkage = 0.4 L
Kettle Trub Loss = 2.0 L
Volume into Fermenter = 8.7 L
Fermenter loss = 1.7 L
Volume into Packaging = 7 L

I use the notes tab for brew day notes.  Have been since 1.4.  I just copy the recipe to the brew log, alter it as needed and add brew day notes in free form.  Easy peasy.

Back