• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Simpson Malt

slarty

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have been brewing a number of beers and found some were turning out much darker than planned.
Took me a while to pin it down and it seemed to be my simpson dark malt grains. I first thought it was a miss labelled bag from my LHBS but after closer inspection my beersmith grains has this down as 157 EBC where as the simpson website lists this to be up to 240 EBC.

The EBC figures for the other malts do not match the ones on the simpson malts website either

Why is there this discrepancy or is this an error in beersmith?

slarty said:
Why is there this discrepancy or is this an error in beersmith?

Over the last three years, Simpson's malts has increased its product line. They've added "Low Colour Maris Otter," "Imperial Malt" and starting this year, "Double Roast Crystal." They've been very responsive to brewer requests and it's growing their business.

They used to have just a few crystal malts, now there are seven. It looks like they introduced an even darker crystal malt and shifted the names upward, accordingly. That left the former "dark" crystal as just crystal. This appears to be the source of your consternation.

Brewing isn't static. In addition to grains, hops change AA%, yeast change names (and specs) and processes get altered. Every year, I spend a day or so going through my suppliers' ingredient lists to find what's new and what's changed. It's a bit of a pain, but it's how I keep up.

Thanks.
I may have picked this up sooner but the 2.5kg bags i bought did not have the EBC just the name/description. I just used the EBC against the description in beersmith when formulating recipes.

I think I will be more vigilant with my ingredients from now on.
Thanks

Necropost - I have had this exact issue as I use Simpsons malts for everything except base malt. All my beers were too dark.
I've edited the correct colours in as per image below - all average values from the malt spec sheet from Simpsons.
Also added a couple of regular use grains Vienna and Munich.

Cheers
James

Attachments

• simpsons.jpg
    simpsons.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 601
Back