• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Poor fermentation, why and now what

jopakent

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm trying to resign myself to a pretty big fail.
I made a 10 gal Yoopers Oatmeal Stout a couple weeks ago and everything seemed to go right. I pitched my yeast into a 1.057 OG. I made the yeast through a two stage starter that showed I'd have more than sufficient yeast count, so I had high hopes for a good FG. However, after about a week, it was 1.022. I measured again last night and there it stands at 1.022.

I read another post that mentioned low Oxygen as a potential issue. After cooling, I used my racking cane to pump/siphon into two carboys. I was counting on a spray attachment I bought from the local brew shop (it attaches to the end of the siphon hose) to provide the O2. I used this on my last batch and it seemed to do fine.

I also just read that poor sanitation can retard fermentation. I used star san to thoroughly rinse both carboys. However, I did not allow it to dry after rinsing, so I guess that's a potential issue too.

Aside from solutions for the next brew, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to 'fix' this batch. For instance, if I added additional yeast now, would it help or just ruin what I've got?
The Beersmith Fermentation tab says, I've a measured ABV of 4.9.  I was hoping for over 6. I'm also concerned that with the poor fermentation, the flavor will be off.

I'm not very disciplined when it comes to aging, but I'm wondering if that will help with the flavor. Seems like aging so-so beer, might help, but might just make it worse.

JPK

I'd say at that FG you'll still have some pretty good beer there.  Not a big fail in my book.  Room for improvement, yes... but it'll be drinkable for sure.

The suggestion that jumps out at me is your oxygenation.  My personal no-cost method is to do it while chilling.  With an immersion chiller in the wort, once the wort gets below 100 degrees I go from a gentle stir to a splashing/stirring style that gives me a 6-12" foam on top of the kettle.  Do this until you hit pitching temp, then proceed to transfer to the fermenters.

Are you controlling fermentation temp?

jtoots said:
I'd say at that FG you'll still have some pretty good beer there.  Not a big fail in my book.  Room for improvement, yes... but it'll be drinkable for sure.

The suggestion that jumps out at me is your oxygenation.  My personal no-cost method is to do it while chilling.  With an immersion chiller in the wort, once the wort gets below 100 degrees I go from a gentle stir to a splashing/stirring style that gives me a 6-12" foam on top of the kettle.  Do this until you hit pitching temp, then proceed to transfer to the fermenters.

Are you controlling fermentation temp?

I stir like this too.  Once you're below 100F, oxygen is a good, but higher than that, oxygen is bad.  I also hit my wort with oxygen in the fermenter with air from an aquarium pump, injected through a filter and dispersion stone for 20 minutes.  I then pitch the yeast after the aeration is finished.

It works well for me.  I've had stuck fermentations in the past, but I haven't had one since I went to this method of oxygenation.  My previous method was pouring the wort back and forth between two bucket fermenters.  Although this does aerate the wort, it also is more risky, as it will let in more bacterial contaminants from the atmosphere.

My previous method was pouring the wort back and forth between two bucket fermenters.  Although this does aerate the wort, it also is more risky, as it will let in more bacterial contaminants from the atmosphere.

brewfun said that once it foams up, you don't get those bubbles back. I aerate by pouring it back and forth, and my beer lacks the foam that I would like it to have. I'm thinking that the foam I see in the bucket is foam that might otherwise be in a glass, so I've been considering the aquarium pump method for aeration.

I've done a little research on my own, but I was wondering what you might recommend to someone on a tight budget.

Maine Homebrewer said:
My previous method was pouring the wort back and forth between two bucket fermenters.  Although this does aerate the wort, it also is more risky, as it will let in more bacterial contaminants from the atmosphere.

brewfun said that once it foams up, you don't get those bubbles back. I aerate by pouring it back and forth, and my beer lacks the foam that I would like it to have. I'm thinking that the foam I see in the bucket is foam that might otherwise be in a glass, so I've been considering the aquarium pump method for aeration.

I've done a little research on my own, but I was wondering what you might recommend to someone on a tight budget.

My aquarium pump set up was $16.99 at my local home brew supply shop.  You can probably find them even cheaper online.

OK, it's obvious I'm going to be the odd bod out here. Unless it's a really big beer, never ever oxygenate it after pitching the yeast -- it should only be done before or at the time of pitching. Even if it's a huuuge beer and it needs to be reoxygenated/re-aerated, 12 hours after pitching is the absolute deadline.

The yeast goes through the "aerobic" propogation phase immediately after pitching. and then after about the 12-18 hour mark, it hits the anaerobic "fermentation" phase. All you will achieve after that time is oxidising the beer because the yeast won't be using it.

Just my 2 rupees.

antiphile said:
OK, it's obvious I'm going to be the odd bod out here. Unless it's a really big beer, never ever oxygenate it after pitching the yeast -- it should only be done before or at the time of pitching. Even if it's a huuuge beer and it needs to be reoxygenated/re-aerated, 12 hours after pitching is the absolute deadline.

The yeast goes through the "aerobic" propogation phase immediately after pitching. and then after about the 12-18 hour mark, it hits the anaerobic "fermentation" phase. All you will achieve after that time is oxidising the beer because the yeast won't be using it.

Just my 2 rupees.

I agree.

antiphile said:
Unless it's a really big beer, never ever oxygenate it after pitching the yeast -- it should only be done before or at the time of pitching.

You had me startled at a first read here!  Pitching then immediately oxygenating could be considered "after", but I see you're calling that "at the time of pitching." phew! 

I have to listen to my own advice many times!  First, aquarium pump never fails me.  I place the diffusing stone and the transfer hose from my brew kettle into the fermentation carboy at the same time and add air from the aquarium pump as I drain the wort from brew kettle, through chiller, and into carboy.  That and andditional 2 minutes of shaking when I pitch the yeast.  Good to go!  Most likely and most  importantly is PATIENCE. Let it sit in the fermenter longer. It' wont hurt.  Weeks even.  Just let it sit there. Sometimes those big malty glucose cells need some time to get all eaten up (well that wasn't very technically savvy, but you get the picture).

Either way no big loss....drink...brew again!

Back