• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BJCP 2015 Style Advice--Belgian Specialty =?

GoodisBeer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey folks...its' been awhile.  Got a question. I would like to enter St. Humulus, Abdij Bier, from Pierre Rajotte Belgian Ale in a local county fair competition.  I'm not sure what style is should fall under.  It originally fit the Belgian Specialty Guideline, but with the new BJCP 2015 guidelines I think it would fall under Trappist Single (26A), however the numbers do fall outside the guidelines.  Are there any suggestions with the given specs below?  Thanks in advance!

OG:  1.061
FG:  1.010
IBU:  30.1
ABV:  6.8%
SRM: 8.4

Let the taste of the beer tell you where it should fit, not the specifics (gravity, IBU's, etc.).  The judges don't know that you're a point or two above or below a guideline.  They use their senses to judge the beer.  Let your senses tell you where it fits.

And ask any/all judges to whom you have access to tell how best to enter it.

As the Abdijbier logo indicates beers brewed under license of an existing or abandoned abbey to me it appears to be closest to  25A Strong Belgian Ale - Belgian Blond Ale.

Thanks for the comments and insights.

Scott, good advice. Sounds like something I would say to someone asking the same question that I was asking. Listen to ones own advise right?

After reviewing the guidelines again and comparing to prj28 thoughts, I'm beginning to feel a lot more comfortable entering my Houblonee Abbey Ale in the 26A category. The beer has a hoppy nose, mildly sweet malt introduction, a hint of tasteful passion fruit and bananas in the middle, and a pleasing floral hop finish.

However, after re-reading the guide and focusing less on numbers I think I'm in the right place.
26A. Trappist Single
Overall Impression: A pale, bitter, highly attenuated and well carbonated Trappist ale, showing a fruity-spicy Trappist yeast character, a spicy-floral hop profile, and a soft, supportive grainy-sweet malt palate.
Aroma: Medium-low to medium-high Trappist yeast character, showing a fruity-spicy character along with medium-low to medium spicy or floral hops, occasionally enhanced by light herbal/citrusy spice additions. Low to medium-low grainy-sweet malt backdrop.
Flavor: Fruity, hoppy, bitter, and dry. Initial malty-sweet impression, with a grainy-sweet soft malt palate, and a dry, hoppy finish. The malt may have a light honeyed biscuit or cracker impression. Moderate spicy or floral hop flavor.

I don't believe the 25A Belgian Blond Ale is a good benchmark, despite the higher than average ABV, my brew has little to no alcohol taste compared to 25A,  "some smooth alcohol becoming evident in the aftertaste". It doesn't fit the Blonde Character, which "often has an almost lager-like character, which gives it a cleaner profile in comparison to many other Belgian styles". Mine pays more attention to the Trappist yeast flavor and floral hops compared to the "lightly earthly or spicy hop nose" and "subtle yeast character" found in 25A.  Thanks for challenging me to take a closer look at these two styles.

In going with what I believe the judges will smell and taste I feel confident entering it in the 26A.

Thanks everyone!

Good luck in the competition! 

I enter competitions most for the feedback, so that I can get an outsiders non-biased opinion.  It helps me think about things that I might not have considered on my own.  I have had great beers that scored great, but have had what I thought were great beers get dinged pretty hard.  After reading through the judges comments, it usually opens my eyes to something that I hadn't considered.

I don't always agree with the judges, but I've always respected their opinions.

Scott Ickes said:
I enter competitions most for the feedback, so that I can get an outsiders non-biased opinion.  It helps me think about things that I might not have considered on my own.

Scott...I can't agree with you more...tired of family and friend saying it's good...want honest opinions.Thanks again!

Back