• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you change the Diastatic power in Grains tab?

danwbrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just downloaded the add-on's for sugars and all the values for diastatic power are set to the default of 120 Lintner. Is there a way to change this to the proper value? The edit button does not work there. I've also noticed that Rice hulls and malt extracts have a Lintner value? This could be an issue for Extract brewers using them with unmalted grains expecting conversion.

Since the fields are grayed out, they have no impact on the calculations in BeerSmith.  Come to think about it, the dp for any fermentable does not enter into any (yet) calculations that I am aware of in the software. 

If it does bug you and you want to edit it, change the fermentable type to 'grain', set the values to zero, then set the type back to 'sugar' and save it.

Thanks for the reply Oginme,

Ya, I noticed that. I was just concerned that all my newbie customers might not realize that and think the extracts and sugars will make up the diastatics needed to convert their starches. (OR try to make a crystal bomb). Too many new brewers think that the program will tell them they did something wrong and are to inexperienced to know better.
  I mainly do all-grain anyway. Just hoped I could fix the beast (for me) without ripping everything out and reloading. None of the programs I've used so far tackle the problem of straight OG minus FG to ABV calculations.

Dan

Back