• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast issue? Help!

KJlive

Apprentice
Reaction score
I haven't home brewed for quite a while and decided to start again. In the past, I only had done a few batches. (I am still a newbie!! My last experience was discouraging so I took a break. Lol!) I bought a basic IPA kit to get my feet wet again. I washed all my equipment and utensils. I also sprayed with a sanitizer. I cooled my wort to about 70 degrees in an ice bath. The yeast packet stated that it should be rehydrated. I cooled 4 oz. of water to 90 degrees while the wort was cooling and I mixed the yeast. I added the yeast to my carboy in about 30 minutes. Here is my issue. The wort has been in about 68 degrees in the dark for approximately 41 hours and I see absolutely no activity. The wort is flat on the top (no foam), and no bubbles on the airlock. I bought another packet of yeast and was considering adding it without rehydrating. Any suggestions on the next steps I should be taking? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. By the way....the yeast is lallemand bry-97 

Just give it a bit longer. BRY-97 is a notoriously slow starter, but it makes a fine beer. You should see activity within 12 more hours.

Thank you! Surprisingly, I checked it again this morning. It has been  60+ hours and there is no change. It looks very flat. How long do you recommend that I wait before pitching again?

Back