• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bourbon Barrel Kegerator Project

sebastian

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi folks - i've been brewing for a few years now, and am just tired of bottling.  I could buy a standard kegerator, but our house is a mix of wrought iron and wood, and a shiny new kegerator just wouldn't fit in.  I've managed to get myself a nice woodford bourbon barrel, and i'd like to turn it into a kegerator.  Problem is i'm not an HVAC guy, and i don't think i could take apart a mini fridge w/o rupturing the coils.

My good friend Google has helped me find a few places selling cooling units (integrated coils and condensers), but because this is all uncharted territory for me, i'm not positive i know what i'm looking for, how to properly size a unit, etc.  I've absolutely no problem with a learning curve, but would like to avoid buying a half dozen units until i find the right one.

Hence the reason i'm posting here - do you all have a 'go to source' for this type of thing, and any guidance in terms of what's the right 'kit' to acquire for cooling?  Given it's about a 55 gallon barrel (200l ish internal volume), i'd have to believe that others have gone before me and can help light the way :cool:

thanks!

Back