• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question on carbonation volumes calculation

G

GregKelley

It appears that the calculation for carbonation takes into consideration the temperature of the beer?  When that temperature increases, the application calls for more sugar to be used for carbonation.

What temperature do I put in for the calculation?

1. temperature of beer at bottling
2. highest temperature of beer at any time during fermentation process, whether in primary or secondary

Also, does the calculation take into account the OG and FG of the beer too?

Sorry,
  I should have made this clearer:

- For bottling, the temperature is the temperature of the beer when you bottle it - this determines how much CO2 is already in the beer at bottling.
- For kegging - the temperature is the storage temp - i.e. the temperature at which you will serve the beer.

Thanks,
Brad

Thanks for the clarification.  But that being said....

Obviously when the beer raises in temperature (and it isn't bottled), gas escapes.  If the temperature drops, does that gas become reabsorbed?  I only ask because for a couple of my brews I have had a 5 degree F temperature variation and if I am using a lower temperature in Beersmith than what the beer was at one point in time, I fear that my beer becomes undercarbonated.

Or is the loss of gas offset by the yeast producing more and it being absorbed when the beer temperature cools?

Back