• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

washed yeast for bread.

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
We make all our own bread at home and i just used some washed wyeast from a IPA i made to make some bread.
I have to say it turned out really well and the bread has a definite beer smell but it is very subtle in the flavor.
Just wondering if any one else is doing this. Seems like a good use of the yeast if it can not be used in time for a beer.

I haven't had good luck with washing yeast, so I haven't tried it. Though being a bread baker I have thought about it.

This was the first time that i have washed yeast and i think it went well . Could still improve though .
I done a little reading online and found mixed feelings / results about using beer yeast for baking bread.  I used twice the amount of yeast for both my starter and then when i mixed the the rest of the flour in. I made a Biga starter and then french Baguettes. The color of the bread is slightly darker but the bread was light and had a good crust. Had a different smell than using a normal yeast but the taste difference was very subtle.
I will do some more experimenting for sure . The wyeast i reused was west coast IPA 1217.

Interesting. I've attempted to make fruit wine with bread yeast and the taste it left behind was terrible. Must bake off with the bread. I wonder what king of sourdough starter one could make with beer yeast...

Not sure but I am keen to give it a go. We have a good sourdough starter we were given from a friend but might have a crack at starting one myself with the beer  yeast. I am very curious about different types of yeast and what flavours I would get from them in the bread and also what style of bread is better suited to using beer yeast.

Back