• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low FG

ned

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a honey witbier extract kit 4 weeks ago and I am getting ready to bottle this weekend.  After boil I separated one gallon of the wort and then after 3 days of fermenting I added about 12 oz of honey to that one gallon, so I now have 4 gallons of regular and one gallon with extra sugar (honey) added.  I took gravity readings last night.  The four gallon batch read at 1.006 and the one gallon batch read at 1.010.  Both seem very low as I would expect a FG on the four gallons to be around 1.010-1.012 as stated on the recipe.  I would also expect the batch that I kicked up with extra sugar to be much higher.  To note, I did rack both batches to secondary fermenters after 7 days.  I tasted last night after taking the readings and both beers taste fantastic (a little buttery though).  Any help, advice, information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

After doing some research, I may have alleviated my concerns as it appears that a lower FG is not an issue, but I was going for a higher ABV in the batch I added honey to and based on calculations if the OG was 1.063 and FG is 1.010 then  the ABV is just under 7% and the batch I didn't add honey to (OG 1.063 and FG 1.006) is higher ABV at just over 7%?  Does that seem accurate?

Sounds ok to me. You don't mention the yeast you are using, but a 1.006 and a 1.010 sound like a moderate to high attenuating yeast. If they tasted good, why worry?

Back