• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Out Temoperature & Harshness

K

KellerBrauer

Greetings,

My question is in regard to Mash Out Temperature.

I have brewed with the understanding that the mash temperature should be held between 148 and 158 degrees for best starch conversion; mashing at a temperature higher than that will bring out tannins and harsh flavors from the grains and the darker the grains the harsher the flavors.  So...

With that thought process in mind, I'm about to experiment with a Mash Out (first time using this method) at a target mash temperature of 170 degrees for 10 minutes before I Fly Sparge with 175 degree water.  Now, according to BS2, I need to introduce 207 degree water to the mash in order to achieve my target mash temperature.  Wont this process and water temperature affect the grain in the same way by bringing out the same harshness?  The SRM of the brew will be around 27.8.

BS2 has never let me down in the past, I just need to better understand the process.

Looking for suggestions/advise/knowledge.

Thanks!!

Husk tannins are governed by three factors; husk size, mash pH and mash temperature. Of the three, it's pH which has the most influence, second is husk size and third is temperature.

Mash pH that stays as close to 5.2 to 5.7 is going to shop the least amount of tanning extraction (typically imperceptible) regardless of the other two factors. So, when you're making the infusion, as long as the pH range of the mash is there, you should be fine. This might require acidifying the infusion water and your sparge water. Using a tool that calculates pH, like Bru'n Water, will get your pH on target throughout the mash and sparge process. BeerSmith doesn't calculate mash pH, at this time.

BrewFun - very interesting and logical.  I do keep a pretty close eye on my pH and typically have to use a generous portion of gypsum to hit my target.  I suppose I will keep an even closer eye on it with this information.

Thanks!!

If you don't want to add a bunch of water to the brew, you could mash out using decoction. That's where you remove a third of the mash into another pot, bring it to a full boil on the stove, then mix it back in. I do that regularly, and it brings the mash up to the neighborhood of 165 degrees, which is good enough for me. I don't know if the software supports this or not though.

KellerBrauer said:
BrewFun - very interesting and logical.  I do keep a pretty close eye on my pH and typically have to use a generous portion of gypsum to hit my target.  I suppose I will keep an even closer eye on it with this information.

Gypsum does have a flavor impact, so too much might be problematic. Calcium Chloride is another Ca++ source, which enhances body and sweetness. Blending the two might help keep balance.

If your beer doesn't need a big mineral adjustment, a more direct route is to use either phosphoric or lactic acid to acidify sparge water to ~6 pH. Various brewing books may tell you lower, and that's fine but I rely on the buffering power of my mash. I find the slightly higher wort pH to be helpful in creating texture and complexity to the bitterness of hoppier beers. I'll go slightly lower on smoother styles, like Vienna Lager and Pils.

Phosphoric acid doesn't have much flavor impact, but it does bind and therefore lower Calcium levels. Lactic acid doesn't bind, but can show as a flavor with lower doses.

All very good information and advise.  Thank to both for your assistance.

Back