• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Shared recipe directory

T

tctruffin

First off, thanks to Brad for creating a top-notch piece of software.  After a couple of weeks and two brewing sessions using the trial software, I'm hooked, and paid up  8)

I love the fact that I can use my registration key on two computers since I have two.  My question is this.  I switch between my two machines quite a bit, and I have an external networked hard drive that I keep common files on.  I'd like to be able to save all of my recipes to a common directory on the external hard drive so that I can get to them regardless of which machine I'm using at the time.  Is this possible?

Hi,
  One option is to actually install BeerSmith to the shared drive, but you will need to be careful you don't open BeerSmith from both computers at once or things could get badly out of synch.  Save your existing recipes and ingredients as desired using the export command (or just backup the whole C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory). 

Uninstall BeerSmith, then install it to the shared drive from one computer using the setup.exe program to install.  Open BeerSmith up and import the stuff you saved off above.

On the other computer, make a shortcut to the BeerSmith main program on the shared drive.

As I mentioned, now you just need to make sure you don't have both computers open BeerSmith at the same time (use one at a time and then close the program) or you will have one computer overwriting changes from the other. 

I have not tried this myself, but in theory it should work.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I followed your advice, and things seem to be in order.  There won't be much chance of a problem opening the program simultaneously from the two computers given my habits, so this looks like a win.

However, an odd thing has started happening.  When I open the program, I'm given a security alert that the "Publisher could not be verified."  I just have to click "yes" to run the program, but it's odd.  I never receive that message before.  Any ideas?

Hi,
  Not sure but my guess is that since you are running the program from a remote drive, windows security is asking you to verify.  It does this to me when I try running a new program from a CD or other device for instance.

It is not BeerSmith asking, so it is probably windows.  Check your control panel as there is likely a way to disable the warning.

Brad

Back